Wednesday, November 11, 2015

One Of The Traps Of Writing Dialog: Exposition

I'm at that point in my NaNoWriMo story where the main characters are sitting down and talking. I've essentially given over this moment to my sexy vampire character to establish this 'Verse rules regarding vampires as a breed, and the supernatural elements that exist within this urban fantasy.

This can get tricky. While it helps to get the details out about how and why things work in your created world of this novel, you don't want to bog down into details and going off on tangents.

You're supposed to Show Not Tell. Unfortunately, there are times when there is no way to show, when talking about past events for example or establishing the motivations of a character to do what she does.

Given the rough draft nature of this novel - that I am pretty much writing by the seat of my pants - I am going to pretty much put it all out there in the dialog, and I am just going to have to use the follow-up editing process to clean this scene up, make it more active.

Anyway. KEEP WRITING!

No comments:

Post a Comment