Tuesday, December 14, 2021

In the Running: ALA Councilor at Large

I've mentioned a few times before that I am a professional librarian.

This isn't just about working full-time as a reference librarian: Professionalism requires keeping up with the skills and training, as well as contributing to the job title by engaging in regional, state, and national organizations.

I've been very active with the Florida Library Association, working on committees ranging from establishing Standards And Outcomes for our public libraries to maintain their ethics and professional standards, to the Scholarships committee that rewarded funding to new students to our MLIS programs at public universities (Florida St. and South Florida).

I've also been with the American Library Association, paid member since 1993 (my graduate student years), and had been active within the ALA with Reference & User Services group from time to time.

All this to say that for 2022 I'm hoping to be more engaged with ALA by running for a Councilor-At-Large position.


CHICAGO - The American Library Association (ALA) announced that 68 candidates are running for 34 at-large seats on the ALA Council.

The following candidates were accepted by the Nominating Committee (listed alphabetically by last name):

(you'll have to scroll down a bit...)

Paul Wartenberg
Reference and Technology Librarian
Bartow Public Library
Bartow, FL
(Public)

I am campaigning on the pledge to 1) uphold library standards of public service, 2) uphold librarianship's three rules of Time And Space, and 3) the judicious application of library ninjas to hunt down overdue patrons.

I kid a little. I am campaigning on promoting effective public service, and to ensure our libraries support our communities so that our communities can support us.

Balloting for ALA elections begins on March 14, 2022 and will run through to April 6, 2022. Individuals must be members in good standing to vote in the 2022 ALA elections. I also need to make sure my membership dues are in to remain a candidate.

For my fellow ALA librarians out here, I hope I have your vote. It'll be a tough election with 88 candidates for 34 openings. We'll see how it goes!

Thank you for your consideration!

No comments:

Post a Comment