Sunday, March 14, 2010

I Survived South Florida

From my previous post, discussing my trip back to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami metro and what I expected from the job interview:

Except for the traffic.  I'm pretty damn sure South Florida traffic is still a frakking nightmare.
Hmmm, yeah, that was pretty much right.  I-595 heading in Thursday night, definitely nasty.  The drive into Hialeah on I-75 went well, but driving back?  Bumper-to-bumper from Miramar to Weston...

As for the interview itself?  Florida National College was hiring for Library Director.  Supervisory, with two librarians, a library assistant, and a handful of clerks on staff, so it was a better staffing situation than the previous small college I interviewed last year.

The interview itself went... I have to admit I was rusty.  Haven't interviewed in a year.  There were questions from the panel about why I had a year-long gap on the resume: I noted I was taking classes for computer certification and was job hunting, noting the current difficulties of the job market.  They asked about how I lost my last full-time job:  I answered honestly (incompatibility) but it's never easy explaining why you lose a job.  They seemed to be packing in a set of interviews that afternoon, so I do know there's competition for the spot (in this market there has to be.  Officially it's six people per open job: from the rumors I'm getting it's more like twenty per open job!)


Well, we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete